College of Mount Saint Vincent ABSN Requirements
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to academic excellence and graduating top-tier nurses into the workforce. Our Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program condenses a comprehensive nursing education into a 16-month format. Because of the high program standards and rigorous pace, we have set ABSN requirements for admission that we use to ensure you are the best fit for our program.
We’ll walk through all the ABSN requirements for admission step by step. And if you have any questions about the specific details of our application or admission process, we encourage you to reach out to a counselor.
Required Steps for ABSN Admission
We have a number of steps involved in the admission process into the College of Mount Saint Vincent’s ABSN program. You need to complete the following ABSN requirements:
- Submit the electronic application form with all required components.
- Have a prior bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 from an approved institution.
- Complete the prerequisite courses before beginning the ABSN program.
- Provide official transcripts from undergraduate institutions attended.
Once you are admitted into the College of Mount Saint Vincent, you will also need to provide the following:
- A completed immunization form.
- Consent for a criminal background check.
- Proof of CPR certification (American Heart Association BLS for healthcare providers or American Red Cross CPR/AED for professional rescuers and healthcare providers).
- Proof of First Aid Certification (American Heart Association or American Red Cross).
Reasons for Non-Admittance into the ABSN Program
- Missing the deadline for application.
- Not submitting a completed application form.
- Not meeting the minimum average 3.0 GPA requirement.
- Not completing all the necessary prerequisites before school begins.
- Failure to be successful in a prior nursing program or being dismissed from a prior nursing program.
If you have been a part of a prior nursing program, you need to disclose this information to the College of Mount Saint Vincent during the application process. Be prepared to submit a letter of good standing from the administration of your prior school.
GPA ABSN Requirements for Admission
We require an average overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 for admission into the ABSN program. GPA is not the only important qualification—we review applicants for the ABSN program holistically. We understand if you have undergone extraordinary circumstances, and we may choose to make exceptions in certain cases.
Prior Degree ABSN Requirements
An accelerated nursing program essentially condenses the last two years of a traditional nursing program into a 16-month format. In order to do this, we seek students who have already completed a degree to ensure they have the well-rounded general education and biological sciences background to succeed as a nurse with a B.S. in Nursing.
Therefore, we require applicants to have a prior bachelor’s degree in order to qualify for admission. This degree can be in any field, science or non-science related, and it may be a B.A. or a B.S. degree.
We also require a few prerequisite courses before beginning our ABSN program. You should check our prerequisite page for more details on exactly which courses are required. Reach out to an admission counselor to check if you meet the prior education requirements for the ABSN program.
International and Non-Native English Speaker Requirements
We welcome applications from international students and non-native English speakers. If you are an international student, we do require your transcript to be evaluated by WES or Globe.
If English is your second language, we welcome you to apply for the ABSN program at the College of Mount Saint Vincent. We do require non-native English speakers to participate in an interview with the School of Nursing faculty via Skype or in person. You must also submit official TOEFL/IELTS. We require 6.5 or above on the IELTS and 80 or above on the TOEFL.